GlobalAutoIndustry.com’s latest Audio Interview, “China: The Future of New and Smart Mobility” features Bill Russo, Founder and CEO of China-based Automobility. Bill is a globally recognized automotive and mobility expert with 35+ years of experience including 15+ years as an automotive executive, with 13+ years in China. Bill was formerly the Vice President of Chrysler NE Asia, and has worked in the information technology and electronics industries.
In the 19-minute Audio Interview, Mr. Russo discusses these questions:
• Could you talk about how China differs from the western countries in terms of the shifting business model from vehicle-centric to user-centric?
• In China, most of the government focus is on high-tech, innovation, NEV, AV etc. Could you talk about these ambitions and how it is impacting the auto market in China?
• What impact does it have on foreign traditional automakers who want to get into China market?
• Could you give some examples how the policy and regulatory environment is impacting foreign businesses in China?
• The government has been subsidizing NEVs, how do you think it will impact the market?
• China has announced the intention to remove JV restriction on foreign manufacturers and traditional manufacturers over 5-year span by 2022. But they are doing the EV sooner. What do you think is the impact and how they have on foreign companies?
Mr. Bill Russo, Founder and CEO
About Bill Russo:
Bill Russo is the Shanghai-based Founder and CEO of Automobility Limited, a strategy and investment advisory firm helping its clients to create the future of mobility. His over 35 years of experience includes 15 years as an automotive executive, including 14 years of experience in China and Asia. He has also worked nearly 12 years in the electronics and information technology industries. He has worked as an advisor and consultant for numerous multinational and local Chinese firms in the formulation and implementation of their global market and product strategies. Bill is also currently serving as the Chair of the Automotive Committee at the American Chamber of Commerce in Shanghai.
In his current role, Bill advises start-ups, corporations and investors on how to maximize their participation in China’s Automobility Revolution. In order to achieve success, he believes they must expand their focus from the product (the automobile) to the utility derived from the product (“automobility”), and create a business model and digital ecosystem optimized to provide digitally enabled solutions for both car owners and mobility services users.
Bill was previously the regional head of Chrysler in North East Asia, where he successfully negotiated agreements with partners and obtained required approvals from the China government to bring six new vehicle programs to the market in a three-year period, while concurrently establishing an infrastructure for local sourcing and sales distribution.
Mr. Russo has a Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering from Columbia University in New York, and a Master of Science in Manufacturing Systems Engineering from Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. Mr. Russo is a highly sought after opinion leader on the development of the China market and the automotive industry.
Automobility Ltd. is a strategy and investment advisory firm helping its clients to create the future of mobility. Mobility needs, previously satisfied through product “ownership”, are increasingly being served through mobility services “usership” with profound implications not only for traditional businesses within the value chain, but also for new entrants – as they compete to deliver services. Connected mobility, which we define as “technology-enabled on-demand mobility services for moving people and goods from point A to B”, has become a disruptive, paradigm-changing development in the automotive industry. It requires a complete rethinking of the way to deliver value to the market. To succeed, companies must expand their focus from the product (the automobile) to the utility derived from the product (“automobility”), and create a business model and digital ecosystem optimized to provide digitally enabled solutions for both car owners and mobility services users.